What are cookies and how do they work?
Cookies are a tool used by web servers to store and retrieve information about their visiting users. Cookies may be small text files that are sent to your computer, tablet or any other device that allows you to browse the internet when you access certain web pages, or other similar technologies whose functionality is the same. Cookies allow, among other things, to keep a record of your browsing habits, your preferences or your information to log in and remember them when you return.
What types of cookies exist?
Below, you can find a classification of the cookies we might use. Take into account that the same cookie may be included in more than one category.
Cookie categories according to the responsible entity:
Cookies may be “first-party” or “third party”.
- First-party cookies: “First-Party” cookies are those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by TELEFÓNICA as the editor of the web portal and from which the services requested by the user are provided.
- Third-party cookies: “Third-party” cookies are those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the editor of the web portal, in this case TELEFÓNICA, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through cookies.
Cookie categories according to the time they remain activated:
Cookies may be “session” or “persistent”.
- Session cookies: These cookies are assigned to the device from which the user is browsing only for the duration of the visit to the web portal, since they disappear automatically when the user closes the browser. They are usually used to store information that is necessary the provision of the service requested by the user on a single occasion (for example, a list of products purchased) and disappear at the end of the session.
- Persistent cookies: Persistent cookies imply that the data continues to be stored on the device or terminal of the user, being its temporary duration the minimum essential depending on the purpose of its use. The temporary duration of persistent cookies we use and their expiration date can be consulted below.
Cookie categories according to its purpose:
Depending on the purpose of the data collected through the cookie, cookies can be divided into:
- Technical cookies: These cookies allow the user to navigate through our website and use its different options and services, including those that Telefónica uses to manage and operate the website, such as for example, identifying user’s session, remembering the elements that make up the shopping cart, managing payments, storing content for broadcasting video or audio, etc. In addition, technical cookies include those that allow the website to remember information configured by the user so that he or she accesses the service with certain characteristics that can differentiate their experience from that of other users, such as the language selected by the user, the type of navigation and regional configuration through which it accesses, etc. Technical cookies are strictly necessary to provide the services of the website, as well as for its proper functioning, therefore it is not possible to reject their use.
- Analytics cookies: Analytics cookies allows Telefónica or third parties to monitor and analyze the aggregate behavior of users in the website. The information collected through this type of cookies is used to measure website’s activity, in order to introduce improvements based on the analysis of such information. We use analytical cookies as indicated below, mainly using Google Analytics services and tools, for the purposes mentioned above.
- Personalization cookies: Personalization cookies are used to show a customized experience to website visitors, using parameters not specifically selected by the user such as information obtained from the device from which the user is browsing, or information obtained through other interactions of the user with Telefónica (for example, if you are a client, the products you have purchased). We use first- and third-party personalization cookies as indicated below.
- Advertising cookies: Advertising cookies allow us, through certain data assigned or obtained from a user’s device, to store or share with third parties, information related to user’s behavior in our website, in order to create an advertising profile. We use first party and third-party advertising cookies as indicated below.
- Social Media Cookies: These cookies are set by a series of social media services [Third parties e.g. Facebook, LinkedIn, Google] which we might have embedded to the website in order to allow you to share our content on these social networks. Third parties obtaining information through these cookies might use it to track your visits to other websites or create a profile of your interests to personalize the content that is displayed on your visits to other websites or to the social networks. If you do not allow these cookies, you might not be able to view or use social sharing tools. We use these cookies as indicated below.
Which specific cookies do we use in this website?
How to configure or reject cookies?
This configuration panel will be divided according to the purposes of cookies used in each website, since you may want to allow cookies for some purposes, but not for others:
- Technical cookies (These are strictly necessary for the operation and security of the website and cannot be deactivated)
- Analytics cookies
- Personalization cookies
- Advertising cookies
- Social Media cookies
Within this panel, you will be able to enable or disable all non-strictly necessary cookies (analytical, personalization, advertising and social media cookies). If you disable them, we will stop collecting this data (or we will not collect any, If you do not consent in the first visit) and / or sending it to the aforementioned third parties.
In addition, you can allow, block or delete these cookies through the configuration options of your internet browser:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explorer
- Internet Explorer (Windows Phone)
- Safari for IOS (iPhone and iPad)
- Chrome for Android
How long do cookies last on your computer?
Cookies will be used solely and exclusively for the time necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it has been indicated in each cookie. You can find out each cookie storage period in section 3 of this document
Once the cookie has expired, it can be renewed if the user accepts its use again.
International data transfers
Update of the Cookies Policy
TELEFÓNICA may update this Cookies Policy at any time. This update will be applicable from its publication on the website so users are advised to review it periodically.