The power of sustainable digitalization in the fight against climate change
Climate change is considered the greatest challenge of our time. Its effects range from desertification and droughts to floods and rising sea levels. Some of its most visible consequences are natural disasters, disruptions in food production, and impacts on energy markets.
However, in this scenario, next-generation digital technologies offer solutions to combat climate change and mitigate its consequences: Artificial Intelligence, Cloud, Big Data, Internet of Things (IoT), or ultra-efficient 5G connectivity are some of the enabling innovations of sustainable digital transformation.. They can help us decarbonize the economy, optimize the use of renewable energy, and protect natural resources.
Sustainable digitization for green transformation
At Telefónica Tech, we are committed to developing digital solutions that protect, optimize, and reuse natural resources with minimal environmental impact. Almost two out of three solutions in our portfolio carry the Eco Smart seal, verified by AENOR.
The Eco Smart seal identifies products and services designed to drive green digitization. This results in reduced water and energy consumption, promoting the circular economy, and lowering emissions that contribute to the greenhouse effect.
Furthermore, our solutions promote energy efficiency, sustainable agriculture, and efficient transportation.
Next-generation digital technologies can contribute to a 20% reduction in CO2 emissions by 2050.Source: Accenture & World Economic Forum.
The impact of next-generation technologies
The application of next-generation digital technologies has the potential to reduce global emissions by 15% to 35% in the coming years.
These technologies enable improved management, control, and real-time action in various sectors, such as industry, energy, and public utilities.
For example, when our digital technologies are applied to:
- Water supply: they can optimize distribution and reduce losses, which is particularly relevant in a context of water scarcity due to climate change.
- Infrastructure, such as natural gas, to reduce leaks and greenhouse gas emissions, optimize energy distribution, including renewable sources, or public lighting, among others.
- The agricultural sector, which is highly exposed to the increasing impact of climate change. They enable smart and precision farming, optimizing the use of resources such as water and chemicals, thus reducing costs.
- Workspaces, transforming the way we work: they reduce daily commutes, energy consumption, and associated CO2 emissions. Additionally, digitization of documents and reduced paper usage have a positive impact on the environment.
Towards a sustainable and resilient future in the face of climate change
Sustainable digitalization has emerged as a powerful tool to combat climate change and its consequences.
Through the implementation of these solutions, we can:
- Protect our natural resources, such as water.
- Optimize operations, logistics routes, and industrial and production processes.
- Reduce polluting and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Generate opportunities for progress for all.
Therefore, it is essential to continue driving technological innovation and fostering collaboration between the public and private sectors. This will enable a successful transition towards a more sustainable and resilient future in the face of climate change.
Featured photo: Nikola Jovanovic / Unsplash.